Kotlin wades its way to success.
Kotlin is a relatively young programming language. It's great for creating mobile and server-side applications, enabling you to write concise and expressive code while maintaining full compatibility with existing Java technology-based stacks.
The following properties characterize Kotlin language:
Kotlin's innovative language features, such as support for type-safe constructors and delegated properties, help create sophisticated and easy-to-use abstractions.
Kotlin helps build server-side applications that scale to a massive number of clients with modest hardware requirements.
Kotlin is fully compatible with all Java-based frameworks, which allows you to stay on the known technology stack while benefiting from a more modern language.
Kotlin supports step-by-step migration of large codebases from Java to Kotlin. You can start writing new code in Kotlin, keeping older parts of the system in Java.
In addition to excellent IDE support, Kotlin offers framework-specific tooling (for example, Spring) in the IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate plugin.
- Learning curve.
For Java programmers, getting started with Kotlin is very easy. The automated Java to Kotlin converter included in the Kotlin plugin helps in the first steps. Kotlin Koans offers a guide on crucial language functions along with a series of interactive exercises.
Looking for a mobile development team?
Talk to our counsultant!
The future of language
- In May 2017, at the Google I / O conference, it was announced that Kotlin would become the official programming language for the Android platform.
- There is a perfect future ahead of Kotlin because it is Java compatible and the entry threshold is quite low for Java developers. For this, in the Valley, you can use libraries written in Java, which significantly strengthens its position. On the plus side, there is also a relatively large community that organizes around the language.
- According to the TIOBE index (https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/), Kotlin is already 35th in the ranking. When in August he was 80th
- Among the brands that use Kotlin in their products, we can find companies such as: Amazon Web Services, Netflix, Uber, Square, Trello, Evernote.
It is best to start learning the basin at https://kotlinlang.org. All the necessary materials are there.
Another site that you can actively use to learn the Kotlin language is https://play.kotlinlang.org/
The site has "Playground" in which we can write our first programs and immediately test them.
There is also a tab "Examples" with a description of the syntax that you can immediately run.
We can also use ready-made "Hands-on" templates that show us how to build, e.g. a multiplatform application for Android and iOS.
We can also start learning Kotlin by reading the following books:
- "Kotlin in Action" - it teaches how to use the Kotlin language in production-quality applications. This vibrant example book, written for experienced Java programmers, goes beyond most language books and covers interesting topics.The book was written by Dmitry Jemerov and Svetlana Isakova, programmers from the Kotlin band.
- "Kotlin for Android programmers" - this is Antonio Leiva's book showing how Kotlin can be used to create Android applications from scratch.