How to choose the right software development company
Selecting a software development company requires thorough research and consideration of methodology, technology expertise, partnership potential, business understanding, communication efficiency, and proven experience, aiming for a beneficial long-term relationship.
Follow the white rabbit
If you have decided to upgrade your software or acquire a new software solution, you have made the next step for better prosperity of your business. However, the process is not yet finished. It has, in fact, just started, but there is no need to be scared of changes. It is essential to make small steps, one after another. Begin with defining your needs and choosing the right software house. Before making that decision, you should determine your preferences and do the right amount of research. Please have in mind the requirements you seek in an IT company, your future relations and the software itself. There are a lot of software houses on the market using different management methods and technologies and are either focused on creating long-term relationships or just selling their product. When making the decision, it is essential to specify your requirements and highlight them with different candidates.
Below, you can find a list of things you should pay attention to while choosing the right software development company:
2. Technology Being an expert requires vast knowledge and experience, which is why it is rarely possible to be a professional in multiple fields. That is why you should pay attention to your future partner’s area of expertise and interest. Small companies are more likely to have their requirements and preferences regarding technology or way of working, which is why the discussion at the beginning of the project is so important. Pay attention to the technology that your partner will be using. What new opportunities will it give you? What will be achievable in the future, thanks to it? Don’t miss out on the opportunity to develop yourself and a more robust software solution.
3. Partnership Choose the company that will meet your expectations and not limit your business. Some software development companies offer 360-degree services. Instead of buying an existing software solution, consider acquiring a partner that will develop one for you and will accompany and help you with any problems during all stages of the software development, implementation process and even afterwards. A strong company relationship may last for years and should benefit both sides. Your IT partner could be your advantage to win the competition.
4. Understanding your business Will the implementation of new software be successful? Will your partner develop what your business needs? Answers to these questions often depend on how well you and your IT partner understand your business and the whole industry. Your development partner should understand your challenges, what features you need and, even more importantly, why you need them. If they know the answers, they will know what to put pressure on to create the most suitable and powerful solution for your company to face these challenges. By understanding your business, they will also be able to help you focus on priorities and advise you from a technical perspective.
5. Communication While acquiring a new IT partner, be as clear and precise as possible about your expectations towards the whole project and the communication process. Ask many questions, for example, to what degree does the company engage in building the project’s vision? Also, check if the IT partner uses any project management tool it shares with clients, such as Jira or Trello. It can make communication faster and easier. If you decide to outsource your software development abroad, ensure you can quickly and fluently communicate in English. Take into consideration time zones and the time difference between both places. It might be problematic to talk between countries on opposite sides of the globe. You can read more about how to deal with time zone differences in software development outsourcing here.
6. Experience, portfolio and recommendations Before choosing your partner in software development, consider and compare all your options. Pay attention to the experience and the portfolio of the IT Company. You want the most experienced partner you can find because with experience comes quality and less time needed to fulfil tasks. By looking at the portfolio, you can see what the field of expertise of a particular company is and what they specialize in. You can also search for recommendations and opinions from their previous partners.
Be sure to thoroughly research your options before selecting a software development company. You could gain more than a software solution. You could gain a long-term partner to support you through multiple projects. Look for a company that can become a partner in addition to the executor of your idea. When choosing your future software development partner, consider these seven criteria and start considering your next steps.
If you need a partner in software development, we're here to help you.
We will respond to your enquiry within 24 hours.